At the junction where East Street meets South Street had been the ruins of St Andrew’s Chapel, built in 1260 for Carmelite Friars.

Part of the chapel had been converted into a dwelling house, part being the sessions house over which was a free school, a further part was a cell for criminals and part was in ruins. It had a low tower, with the remains of the Chancel serving as a clock house.

Although the passage between Bridport Town Hall and the Greyhound Inn had been known as ‘Bucky Doo’ for a number of centuries, the area previously occupied by the corn and produce market building was only referred to as ‘Bucky Doo Square’ from about 1995.